Lt. Robert Merton Rawlins Award
Mrs. Fern Rawlins established the Lieutenant Robert Merton Rawlins Merit Award Scholarship endowment in 1981 in memory of her son Robert. Mrs. Rawlins had three sons, all of whom served in World War II. Two of her sons returned home. Tragically, her son Robert, an army pilot, was lost over Tokyo Bay while flying a B-29. He was awarded the Silver Star for his action and he is recognized, along with other Chico State Alumni who lost their lives defending our country during WWII, on the bronze plaque near the flag pole on Kendall Hall Lawn.
Mrs. Rawlins had a keen interest in education and believed in rewarding merit and achievement. It was her wish to remember her son and his contributions by rewarding excellent students.
*Students must be nominated by a CSU Chico faculty member. Simply completing this Student Information Form in the next step alone will not fulfill application requirements. *
Faculty from all colleges are invited to nominate students based on the following:
- Seriousness of intent to obtain an education and to increase personal knowledge
- Ability to pursue a successful life in any chosen capacity
- Evidence of scholarship, extracurricular activities, and outstanding professionally-related and academic accomplishments
Undergraduate and graduate students:
- Must have successfully completed a minimum of twelve units at CSU, Chico
- Must be currently enrolled full time (12 units undergraduate or credential, 8 units graduate)
- Must enroll full time for both the fall and spring semesters of the awarding year
- Students completing a bachelor’s degree end of spring semester are eligible if returning as credential or graduate
- Former recipients of the award are not eligible.
*Required Nomination Materials: *
- Student Information Form completed and submitted
- Student’s Resume (uploaded in Student Information Form)
- One letter of Recommendation by sponsoring faculty (uploaded in scholarship platform)
- Recommended and ranked by appropriate College Dean and or Administrator according to student’s major in awarding year (process done online when all required materials are submitted)
Additional details and information may be found on the Financial Aid and Scholarship website: https://www.csuchico.edu/fa/scholarships/departments.shtml